Friday, January 25, 2013

Along comes a blog, and something to share...

Greetings from The Perch, and a very cold one at that!! It was 17 degrees outside this morning, and that's very cold for NC. I hope that if you live in a "real" winter climate you are not much worse off than we are. We are actually supposed to get a little snow again today. :~(

I have been reading blogs for about five years now. I knew that some day I would want to have one myself, so about a year ago I started to pay more attention to what kind of blog I would want to "call my own". I knew that it would try to convey a positive tone and hopefully not have any "uppity" airs about it. I never desired to make political or religious statements, as we all have our own views on both of those subjects, and I did not want to speak of controversial matters. I wanted to keep it simple and light, and I hope I come across that way. Likewise, I tend to gravitate to other blogs that incorporate a vintage feel for home, art, and everything else. But every once in a while, along comes a blog that is so special that you want to go back and read every post written since the blogger started posting. Even if that blog is very different from yours, and perhaps because it is.

When I receive a comment on this blog, I make it a point to see where it came from, and if that person has a blog of their own, I try to spend some time reading it. Recently, a wonderful introduction came to me from a comment placed by Sherry Smyth on one of my posts. While most bloggers appeal to their audience through the use of more pictures than words, Sherry writes beautiful narratives that always have something special to say, and usually uses just one beautiful photo to support the subject of the day. She is not afraid to share how she feels about subjects that are important to her, and also provides some of the most incredible videos. Sherry also sees such beauty in everyday things. Please take some time to read a few of her posts, and I guarantee that you will be richer for having done it. Especially read today's ("One More Day"), and be sure to view the video. Sherry is a beautiful writer, and the only question I have is: "Sherry, when are you going to write a novel for us?" You can find her blog here.
Well, not being Sherry, I did not have a beautiful photo to post today, so in keeping with the temperature outside, here are a couple of scanned old photos for you to play with.

Stay warm!!




3 comments:

  1. Sue, I have to tell you how surprised I am to come and read you today..and find myself here!! Thank you so much for your kind words and your generous spirit. Novel? Maybe more of a "this is life...live it" kind of book is brewing inside me!! Have a beautiful weekend...and stay warm if you do get that snow (it's been snowing lightly but steadily here in Toronto for the past 4 hours...deep enough that it will need to be shoveled!). xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome! Whatever you write will be loved. By the way, we did get the snow, but now it has turned to ice. Within one hour of the first snowflake, there were 45 accidents reported in the next county alone. Can you tell that the South is not used to much snow? Stay in and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dislike it so much when the snow turns from pristine beauty to ice, to slush and then becomes what I have always called "slickery" -- it's slush that has a greasy feel to it. When it rains and the the ground is mucky you can still manage...but you add that greasy stuff and walking and driving become treacherous. And I believe it with the accidents...even here where we are well versed in snow conditions...there was a major accident on the highway not far from here -- a 50 car pile up because the conditions changed so quickly from a bit of snow falling to a LOT of snow falling and that caused white outs. We've had so many years with so little snow that even we've begun to "forget" how to drive safely in this weather. Best to stay indoors if you can! xo

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post!