Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My latest vintage photo craze...

Good morning to you!

If you like to collect old photos, what kinds do you collect? I must confess that I have always loved cabinet cards the best, especially those of young children. If you're anything like me, you probably have scads of them by now. So lately, I have started to collect pictures around subjects in themes, always looking for some new art inspiration. Though I still buy old cabinet photos, I have also been buying some CDV's (which are actually older than the cabinet cards and a little smaller), RPPCs (real photo postcards), as well photos taken in the 20's and 30's. I love to see the changes in fashions over the years, as well as the differences in what the photographers used as props and backgrounds.

Here are some that have recently made their way into my collection, shown with some vintage postcards that I have also formed a fondness for...

For some reason, I have been drawn to children
in goat carts...


And people sitting on moons...


And people sharing my love of lakes.
In cabins...


and in boats...



And what about children in photographers' studios?
I think that of all the photos that I own,
these three are amongst my favorites...


And I can't forget to mention the beach,
even if these were all taken in a studio...


And how about some trade cards to match?


I'm also working on collecting around some other themes. More on that later.
OK, Sue. FOCUS!!


4 comments:

  1. Oh I love them all! Old photographs are my favorite. I got one in this week that I bought on Etsy to use in my art work...but I don't think it can be parted with!
    Thanks for sharing your treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy! I can't part with any of them, so only use copies. I guess if I created art to sell I might use originals, but I hate to think that I destroyed a photo that survived for so long. Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. I've never really collected photographs...I have old ones from my family but whenever I'm out junking or antiquing, it's not the photographs I'm drawn to -- children's clothing and buttons is my thing. Little christening gowns and even some of the retro dresses and outfits from the 50s and 60s. It's lovely to share the treasures that we love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I also collect some children's clothing as well. I also love those old buttons! Sharing those collections is great!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post!