Saturday, June 14, 2014

Friday the Thirteenth and One Good Thing

Are you superstitious? I do not consider myself a superstitious person by any means. When Friday the Thirteenth comes my way I usually go about my business and the day passes without incident. However, yesterday I found myself revisiting all of that and here is why...

I awoke at 1:00 a.m. with the sound of my husband speaking in foreign tongues. This happens once in a while as he is a diabetic, and if his blood sugar drops to a low level, such as the 38 that it was, he starts acting very weird. This doesn't happen all that often, but when it does I pump some sugar into his little mouth, this by way of two bottles of apple juice, a small candy bar, and some chocolate Debbie Cakes. He fell back to sleep. I did not.

So, at 3:00 I finally gave up, made some coffee and got on with my day. Or at least tried to. Until I came into the kitchen and found a thousand garden ants making a breakfast buffet out of the little bit of dry cat food that my Ollie did not finish. So, after spraying down the counters, cabinets, and anywhere else that I saw even one little dreaded beast, I made some coffee and spent time doing nothing for a few hours.

Hubby left at 9:00 to take his car in for servicing. I cleaned the bathrooms with the intent of taking a shower afterwards, and doing some artwork for the rest of the day. The shower went well, but the drying of the hair did not. I plugged in my (almost an antique!) blow dryer and turned it on, when it basically exploded and caught fire for a second. Needless to say it got dumped. After I caught my breath (I hate fire even more than ants), I found my travel dryer and used that.

So I finally got upstairs to the studio and tried to upload photos from my iPhone to my PC. Wouldn't work. I didn't feel like emailing them all to myself, so I decided to get my Canon Rebel (real camera) and take some other photos so that I could do a post to this blog. Couldn't find the camera. Who loses a camera anyway? (I knew I had put it away some place, and found it later, but its location shall remain undisclosed. I know I'm nutty sometimes, but this took the cake.)  So I gave up on blogging.

Later we were going to go out to eat, but frankly I was too afraid at this point to go anywhere. Besides, I am still suffering the effects of my run in with poison ivy and chigger bites, all happily acquired earlier this week in my garden.

OK, so the one good thing? Last week I secured the winning bid of $23.06 on eBay for something I never bid high enough on to win. I'm often too frugal to compete with the heavy hitters. I did finally got my photos uploaded this morning, so I'll share with you the opening of the box...

Here is the large box it came in...


There was 5.14 pounds of stuff in it...


We open the box, 
and this is what we see.
It is a vintage lace lot.
Not much could be better than this.
Much of it is in plastic bags, 
such as this...


...and this...


...and this, exactly as packaged...




Some was in rolls...


...and some on the original cards, 
probably as a long ago seller
displayed them...



I haven't had the time to go through it all, but I guess we could say that I now have enough lace to last me a lifetime. This was indeed a perfect ending to an otherwise not-so-good day!

I hope you have a great Saturday the Fourteenth!




2 comments:

  1. That was quite a day, Sue. At least you got rewarded after you dealt with all those unpleasant incidents. The lace package is amazing. What a fabulous deal! Have fun playing with your new treasures :)!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post!