Monday, July 21, 2014

Driving and eating along the New England coast: Rye, New Hampshire...

Good morning!

I am continuing today with our drive along the New England coast on Route 1A. Last Sunday, after going to Stonewall Kitchen (see my post from yesterday), we continued down the coast through New Hampshire. Though I had been up to the lakes region in NH many times, I don't think I had ever driven along the coast in that state. Here is a fact: The N.H. coastline is the shortest ocean coastline of any U.S. coastal state, having only 13 miles (or 18, depending on what you are reading). And wow! What they pack into those few miles is nothing less than spectacular.

When we were up in Maine we were driving around looking for somewhere to have fried clams (a New England specialty, if you haven't been up there). Before we knew it we were in N.H. so decided to look for clams down there. And were we ever glad that we did.

We discovered Petey's.
A great casual seaside place to eat.
Wonderful service and awesome food...


Fried clams and tartar sauce.
Quite likely the best clams I've ever eaten...


...with sides of fried zucchini,
and the best cole slaw ever...


You gotta love the beachy decor,
and I loved the fact that someone named
their yacht after me!
(It was probably the name of their dinghy!)...


I think that we were still in Rye when I shot these photos
through my open window.
They came out better than I thought they would,
as we couldn't stop since there were cars behind us.
Wouldn't you love to live on this street?
Well, maybe only in the summer...


My favorite.
I want to live here when I grow up...


Or if you lean towards the modern, 
how about this one?
I want to know how they keep such a beautiful lawn
so close to the salty ocean...


Probably one of the things I love most about New England
is the abundance of stone fencing.
You see it everywhere...



Each home was so different...


...and on such prime ocean front property 
(the road divided the homes from the actual beach).
Still wouldn't be hard to live with!...


I also loved this one...


Another beauty...


But, in the end, I could see the "real" side of me living 
in this one. 
Besides, there would be a lot less windows to wash!...


I even got Hubby to pose for a photo. 
He's always happy after we eat fried clams...


Which of these houses would you choose? (Sorry, but the man is taken.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post!