Friday, March 17, 2017

St. Patrick's Day: A Vintage Postcard and a Recipe



Happy St. Patrick's Day.
Today everyone is Irish!

Above is a vintage postcard that I recently purchased
and I would like to share it with you to
save and use as you wish.
I think its a really pretty one.

********************************************

Years ago (I won't say how many!) when I was growing up my mom would make Corned Beef and Cabbage on St. Patrick's Day, even though we are not Irish. Kind of the way she always made fish on Friday even though we were not Catholic. Who can figure?

I never liked Corned Beef and could barely stomach eating it, but unlike most of the kids today, we were required to eat what was put on the table whether we liked it or not. (The only exception was liver, which my brother and I hated, and I still do.) No creating of special dishes for the picky in my mom's household! She would always say "You will acquire a taste for it if you eat it enough", and it seemed to work, because I grew up from a picky eater who lived on milk until I was in second grade and forced to eat school lunches into a foodie who can eat almost anything (except liver of course). Mom also said "If you like to eat, you'll like to cook", and a lover of cooking I am. Thanks Mom! Do you ever wonder why I don't always create too much art?

In any case, I never liked boiled food and to this day I think that it is boring and tasteless. So, in my determination to find a Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe that wasn't boring, I tried several different recipes over the years, and a few years ago I found this one. It is now the only one I make, requiring a little more work, but loaded with flavor. So if you would like to try it, here is the recipe for you to save and print as you wish. All credits are on the page, but also my few notes. A little freshly chopped parsley added to the platter when served is also a fine thing!  Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I am not a beer drinker, but a bottle of the Guinness was good along with the meal, and the rest I will use this weekend in a stew recipe, which I will share later. (My husband does not drink at all.)

Though the recipe may not look too clear here,
I did print this out as a test and it printed
quite well...


I hope you enjoy it if you try it.
Let me know if you do, and how it turns out.
Corned beef will probably even be on sale this coming week!

Have a "lucky" day today
and a great weekend!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Sue , oh yes I know about that too, eat what is on the table, or eat not ,lol. We were also served liver when a kid, and even I did, not liked it I took a piece every time. Today and for many,many years I never eat it again.
    In Denmark we do not celebrate Sct Patricks Day like you, b ut I hope your day was wonderful !! xx, Dorthe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post!